Skip to main content

Natural Hair/Blogging Life.. the beginning

I want to say this “natural hair life” is new to me, but it’s not. I’ve been natural for eight years, but this year I learned to embrace it. After I turned 21, something inside of me clicked. I realized I was in charge of the way I live my life.. my was hair included. 

To this day, I will never understand how a thick, white funky chemical can make my kinky, but thick ass hair manageable. Anyways, I tend to trail-off so please forgive me.  I became natural when I was 21. I didn’t immediately cut my permed ends like the internet encourages us “natural girls” to do because I wasn’t brave enough. I say that in the least offensive way possible, so please forgive me in advance again :)


But honestly, my new growth was EXTREMELY short and I didn’t have the confidence to rock the TWA (Teeny Weeny Afro) look. My face is full and I didn’t and still don’t feel like a TWA would flatter my features.



 I kept my hair under as many wigs as possible to ignore the new kinks emerging from my scalp. I kept my hair in  six cornrolls braided back under my wigs; nothing fancy or neat because my braiding is shit. I hid under the wigs and protective styles for seven long years. I did the bare minimum to my hair and spent hundreds of dollars on synthetic wigs and “human-hair” lace fronts until I received some inspiring encouragement from my girlfriend.  



I will speak more on my girlfriend in my proceeding posts, but she is nothing short of amazing. Her driven spirit pushes me daily to be more than who I think I am. For that I remain grateful :) Okay, enough mushy stuff. My girlfriend helped me realize I am more than this “Corporate 9-5” life that we all fall into. She works for herself and has a true hustler’s heart. That alone is pretty dope to me because most don’t have that quality.


Most of our conversations are about how she can improve her business ventures. The conversations are deep because we get into the topic of the amount of time I spend working for someone else instead of myself. 


What opened my eyes to her logic was when she sent me a Youtube link to Robert T. Kiyosaki’s audiobook for his life-changing book “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”. I’m not going to get deep into the details of the book, but I will say this; I never knew how important knowing what an “Asset” and a “Liability” are/means and how it affects our lives and how we live until I listened to the audio-book.


The new information I gained from "Rich Dad, Poor Dad' opened so many doors for my imagination. I learned that I can turn a skill or a quality that I have and build a business around it! I spent years failing to get financially ahead; working 9-5 jobs, sometimes 50 plus hours a week just to come home with half of my check and a pile of leftover bills. The time I spent working these mundane jobs felt like I was doing nothing with my life. I allowed the companies I worked for, metaphorically speaking, to steal time from my life. 


I was taught the secret of living a happy and financially free life; Build a business doing something you love! And this my good people is why you are reading this blog. I was lead to the idea of putting my writing abilities to work after doing some social media content writing for my girlfriend’s partnering company Buzz Local Atlanta (check out their Instagram @Buzzlocalatl ). My background for writing places me back to my childhood. I used to write the craziest love stories and poems, so it was pretty easy to get back into writing. 

Follow My IG: @nynalovee

Somewhere in the mix, my girlfriend talked me into adding my “natural hair-ness” in my writing and thus became my blog! The content that follows this post will be true to my life, experiences with my hair, confidence, and so much more. I feel like I gave a pretty decent background so do this favor for me. After reading my post, I encourage you to click the Youtube link below and listen to  “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”. Please tell me what you took away from the book when you come back for my next post






Love&Light








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You CAN Overcome Heat Damage... Here's how

The title seems misleading, but it's true; you CAN overcome heat damage! But it will not happen overnight. Contrary to belief, there is no overnight hair product or oil that will magically fix your damaged hair. Before I dive into anything, let me give you a rundown of my heat damage experience. Go back to October 2017 for a second. It was a beautiful fall day in Atlanta. For whatever reason, I got the sudden urge to straighten my natural hair.A wig was not enough for me anymore. I just took my extra long twists out and I wanted to try something I haven't done in a while...... This was my first mistake. Later that day I began to prep for my straightening. I pulled out some old and I mean OLD heat protectant spray and spritzed it all over my hair. I can't remember the brand, however I do remember is it was in a green bottle, with an orange spray top. As I gathered my tools, I realized I had two really old flat irons tucked away in my beauty closet. I was excited about

Mielle Organics vs Kinky Curly (Curl Enhancers) REVIEW

Haven't blogged in a minute, have you missed me? (haha) Anyways, I am back with another review! Well it's a semi review.....This time I put my two favorite brands against each other. Off rip, my favorite product for SUPER curl definition is the Kinky Curly Curl Custard by Kinky Curly. My sister put me on this product earlier this year and it has been the ONLY product so far that gives me maximum definition. I have been itching to try other curl enhancing brands since I fell in love with the Kinky Curly Custard, so I finally tried something new! Before I get into this (new to me) product, I want to explain my hair to you. If I can be honest, I don't know my exact hair type. From what my hair has shown me, she behaves in a very "4C" manner.  My roots stay kinky, to the point that if there is no water/moisturizer on it, FORGET trying to define anything. The body and ends of my hair are another story. I have loose-wavy curls in the front, tight ASS coils on th

Texture ID...ENTIRE Line - Honest Review

I literally just want to dive right into this review and I will try my absolute hardest to not be long-winded (lol). I had the honor to try the entire Texture ID product line by Sally Beauty. I won them through a giveaway my homie/hair product-plug was hosting. The entire Texture ID line is made with four essential ingredients ( honey, aloe vera, protein, and nutrient rich oils) that are supposed to lock in moisture as well as provide intense definition. Listed below are each of the products from the Texture ID line as well as my initial thoughts. I will also let you know if I recommend the product or not and why I do (or don't recommend lol). Let's get into it.... Texture ID: Curl Clarifying Shampoo  - Rating: 6/10 The shampoo is very light almost too light for my hair, but it lathers well. I love the scent; it's not too heavy but it is also very light almost like a dryer sheet cotton-like scent. The product claims to not strip your hair of natural oils, b