Skip to main content

Mielle Organics vs Kinky Curly (Curl Enhancers) REVIEW

Haven't blogged in a minute, have you missed me? (haha) Anyways, I am back with another review! Well it's a semi review.....This time I put my two favorite brands against each other. Off rip, my favorite product for SUPER curl definition is the Kinky Curly Curl Custard by Kinky Curly. My sister put me on this product earlier this year and it has been the ONLY product so far that gives me maximum definition.

I have been itching to try other curl enhancing brands since I fell in love with the Kinky Curly Custard, so I finally tried something new! Before I get into this (new to me) product, I want to explain my hair to you. If I can be honest, I don't know my exact hair type. From what my hair has shown me, she behaves in a very "4C" manner. 

My roots stay kinky, to the point that if there is no water/moisturizer on it, FORGET trying to define anything. The body and ends of my hair are another story. I have loose-wavy curls in the front, tight ASS coils on the sides, and the back of my head is a mix of loose spiral curls. SO with all of that being known, I had to get creative with how I do my wash and go's.

A couple months back (before my sister introduced Kinky Curly to me) I ran across a natural girl's "t'wash & go" method (shout out to @ina90skindofworld, she's hella funny). Her method instructs you to do a wash and go in a a twist-out manner by braiding your hair at the root after you apply your gel/product. Doing this ensures definition as well promotes faster drying time for naturals who have thick and disrespectful roots like mine.

Since then I have been doing the "t'wash & go" method with SUCCESS. The only annoying thing about that method was the drying time for me. My hair took forever to dry even though my hair was twisted at the root.

Fast forward to yesterday. I completed a "normal" wash and go with Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey Curling Custard without using the "t'wash & go" method! I was met with some very pleasing results. Since I have issues with puffy roots, I applied the most product on my roots. Then I smoothed the remaining product down the body of my hair, all the while still concentrating on defining my roots (comment if you want me to post the tutorial ;) 

So now let me compare and contrast both products. I am going to break them down by the following categories: price, smell, consistency, and hold. Just because I am extra, I'll add a rating in the mix; 10 being the best out of the categories and 1 being the worst.

Price:
Kinky Curly: 8oz - $17.00 & 16oz -$29.99 -- rating:7/10
Mielle Organics: 12oz - $12.00 (but I caught the black Friday sale and got it for $5.20) -- rating :10/10


Smell:
Kinky Curly: The first thing that came to mind when I smelled it is the scent of play-do. The smell is light, and it is prevalent while drying. Overall when my hair dried the scent disappeared. --rating: 3/10

Mielle Organics: I would literally dump this entire container on my body and use it as a moisturizer if I could. The smell is intoxicating but it is not overbearing. If you like sweet pomegranate scents (like I do) you will instantly fall in love.  --rating: 10/10


Consistency:
Kinky Curly: The consistency is loose, but thick and it has a snot-like feel. The best way to describe it was a loose gel with a slightly thick consistency. A little  went a LONG way. It did not leave a cast AT ALL and when my hair dried my curls felt and looked shiny and moisturized. --rating: 10/10

Mielle Organics: The consistency is similar to the Kinky Curly in its form, however it is more watery and looser in comparison to KC. The best way to describe the consistency is a loose gel with more of a snot-like feel (snot was the best example, sorry lol). -- rating: 7/10


Hold: 
Kinky Curly: This gel held onto my curls with everything it had. I was genuinely surprised at how long my curls stayed in tact. I made it to day 6 with medium frizz and I feel like i could've gone one more day, but I was tired of the style. I gained volume over time, but for the first three days I had crazy shrinkage--rating 10/10

Mielle Organics:  My hair had more volume than definition and that was surprisingly new for my wash and go's. As far as definition, the product defined my hair as I was shingling and defining my curls, but as it dried I did have more frizz than normal for day 1. My curls were defined, but not as defined as the KC gel. -- rating 8/10


**************




Final Thoughts?

Ms. Kinky Curly is still my staple when it comes to defining my curls, but Mielle Organics is also on my list as a go-to curl enhancing product. I loved how Mielle gave me so much volume and the scent is orgasmic. The day one frizz has me a little discouraged, but next time and going forward I will use the "t'wash & go" method for this product. Kinky Curly's scent and shrinkage issue are a bit of a buzz kill for me, but I cannot lie on the definition it gives me every time I use it. 

If you don't have disrespectful roots like mine and if you LOVE an amazing smelling and affordable curl enhancing product, I highly  recommend you try the Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey Curling Custard. But, if your roots need a little bit more loving and you have some extra coins to throw, try the Kinky Curly Curl Custard by Kinky Curly. 

Both products are in my hair product arsenal and are both great buys! 

***UPDATE***


Another thing I am not of fan of is the flaking. The Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey Curling Custard made my hair so crunchy and flaky after day 4. I was literally wiping HUGE chunks of product off of my shirt on a daily basis. I love the brand, but this may not be the product for me. I only made it to day 4 and had to wash my hair due to the flakes. My definition was still present and my volume was on ten, however the flakes were a no-no for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You CAN Overcome Heat Damage... Here's how

The title seems misleading, but it's true; you CAN overcome heat damage! But it will not happen overnight. Contrary to belief, there is no overnight hair product or oil that will magically fix your damaged hair. Before I dive into anything, let me give you a rundown of my heat damage experience. Go back to October 2017 for a second. It was a beautiful fall day in Atlanta. For whatever reason, I got the sudden urge to straighten my natural hair.A wig was not enough for me anymore. I just took my extra long twists out and I wanted to try something I haven't done in a while...... This was my first mistake. Later that day I began to prep for my straightening. I pulled out some old and I mean OLD heat protectant spray and spritzed it all over my hair. I can't remember the brand, however I do remember is it was in a green bottle, with an orange spray top. As I gathered my tools, I realized I had two really old flat irons tucked away in my beauty closet. I was excited about

Texture ID...ENTIRE Line - Honest Review

I literally just want to dive right into this review and I will try my absolute hardest to not be long-winded (lol). I had the honor to try the entire Texture ID product line by Sally Beauty. I won them through a giveaway my homie/hair product-plug was hosting. The entire Texture ID line is made with four essential ingredients ( honey, aloe vera, protein, and nutrient rich oils) that are supposed to lock in moisture as well as provide intense definition. Listed below are each of the products from the Texture ID line as well as my initial thoughts. I will also let you know if I recommend the product or not and why I do (or don't recommend lol). Let's get into it.... Texture ID: Curl Clarifying Shampoo  - Rating: 6/10 The shampoo is very light almost too light for my hair, but it lathers well. I love the scent; it's not too heavy but it is also very light almost like a dryer sheet cotton-like scent. The product claims to not strip your hair of natural oils, b