Skip to main content

Social Media Manage-NOT..

Coming back into the social media world I am noticing how watered-down everyone is. It's ANNOYING AS HELL. But before I dive into this rant-post, understand my background and try be as open-minded as possible.

I've had Instagram for years (duh) but this year I decided to change my content. I went from promoting my girlfriend's photography to documenting and blogging my natural hair journey. Everything began April 2018 when I had a little over 530 followers. Fast forward to July 2018 and my follower count is 853. My following grew because I KEEPS IT 110%.



*Disclaimer: this rant is not just about IG followers; I will get to the point in a minute :) 

Going into this, my intentions were to track the growth/health of my SEVERELY heat-damaged hair, build and CONNECT with naturals all over the world (not just in Atlanta), and share my crazy-ass life experiences visually on Instagram and on my blog. 

My intentions are STILL the same, however my views of social media drastically changed when I began studying the dreaded "Instagram Algorithm". If I can briefly sum the algorithm up: Instagram  made it so the most RELEVANT content gets viewed first. Your online engagement is what drives this whole thing. When you comment, like, and actually ENGAGE in a post that you like, Insta will make sure that post is top priority. Instagram wanted to make the whole social media experience more organic by prioritizing the posts we care about the most. 


That is completely understandable. They want to keep it as organic as possible; cool beans. We actually need more of that on this planet.


But here's where I get lost -- Instagram Influencers and Follow to Unfollowers.

According to PixLee, an  Instagram influncer is someone that has an established credibility and audience; who can persuade others by virtue of their trustworthiness and authenticity. 
Authenticity.... Keep up guys; by definition "authentic" means not false or copied; genuine; REAL

Instagram Influencers as well as businesses owners use their follower count to make themselves seem more credible. Bottom-line: the more followers you have, the more authentic you appear to oncoming/potential followers.  


These "influencers" are using methods to "out-smart" this system, thus bringing us to the main reason why social media management is ANNOYING AS HELL to me. The wonderful "follow to unfollowers" make this entire process an emotional roller-coaster (I am being dramatic, but really serious). 


Let me walk ya'll into the bull I experience on a daily basis. So, I'll post QUALITY content (of my hair, dog--whatever) to my page with a bomb ass caption. Normally, I'll throw in a few relevant hashtags to push my content to the right direction. Throughout the day, I'll get some of the most random followers that completely disregard my posts, but abuse my "follow" button. In the beginning I'd follow them back because, duh, like I said my focus is building real connections with the natural community. After a few days, the "unfollowers" will -- guess what UNFOLLOW me! My mind was blown and still is, so please tell me in my comments what's authentic about that. 


I literally had to learn to weed through the bullshit bot pages and ignore the new folks. These followers were the ones with 12k followers only following less than 100 people back. It was maddening! 


This whole method disrupts everything my brand stands for. Regardless of whatever, I promised myself and my following that I will remain as organic as possible. Ya'll get the real me through instagram and blog--through every post! I am going to continue to engage and be the example of what I want to see more from an "Instagram Influencer" until these flaky people die down. 


To be honest, I would rather have 853 REAL followers for months that genuinely support me and my journey than 52k instagram robots with zero engagement or likes. These "Influencers" are trying to beat a system that was designed to rule out the real from the fakes. 


My rant is done for now, but I am sure I will be back. I am still in the process of learning how social media works, but if you understand the dirty parts of the game first you will be able to fly over all of that and be the brand your followers deserve.



Love&Light







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You CAN Overcome Heat Damage... Here's how

The title seems misleading, but it's true; you CAN overcome heat damage! But it will not happen overnight. Contrary to belief, there is no overnight hair product or oil that will magically fix your damaged hair. Before I dive into anything, let me give you a rundown of my heat damage experience. Go back to October 2017 for a second. It was a beautiful fall day in Atlanta. For whatever reason, I got the sudden urge to straighten my natural hair.A wig was not enough for me anymore. I just took my extra long twists out and I wanted to try something I haven't done in a while...... This was my first mistake. Later that day I began to prep for my straightening. I pulled out some old and I mean OLD heat protectant spray and spritzed it all over my hair. I can't remember the brand, however I do remember is it was in a green bottle, with an orange spray top. As I gathered my tools, I realized I had two really old flat irons tucked away in my beauty closet. I was excited about

Mielle Organics vs Kinky Curly (Curl Enhancers) REVIEW

Haven't blogged in a minute, have you missed me? (haha) Anyways, I am back with another review! Well it's a semi review.....This time I put my two favorite brands against each other. Off rip, my favorite product for SUPER curl definition is the Kinky Curly Curl Custard by Kinky Curly. My sister put me on this product earlier this year and it has been the ONLY product so far that gives me maximum definition. I have been itching to try other curl enhancing brands since I fell in love with the Kinky Curly Custard, so I finally tried something new! Before I get into this (new to me) product, I want to explain my hair to you. If I can be honest, I don't know my exact hair type. From what my hair has shown me, she behaves in a very "4C" manner.  My roots stay kinky, to the point that if there is no water/moisturizer on it, FORGET trying to define anything. The body and ends of my hair are another story. I have loose-wavy curls in the front, tight ASS coils on th

Texture ID...ENTIRE Line - Honest Review

I literally just want to dive right into this review and I will try my absolute hardest to not be long-winded (lol). I had the honor to try the entire Texture ID product line by Sally Beauty. I won them through a giveaway my homie/hair product-plug was hosting. The entire Texture ID line is made with four essential ingredients ( honey, aloe vera, protein, and nutrient rich oils) that are supposed to lock in moisture as well as provide intense definition. Listed below are each of the products from the Texture ID line as well as my initial thoughts. I will also let you know if I recommend the product or not and why I do (or don't recommend lol). Let's get into it.... Texture ID: Curl Clarifying Shampoo  - Rating: 6/10 The shampoo is very light almost too light for my hair, but it lathers well. I love the scent; it's not too heavy but it is also very light almost like a dryer sheet cotton-like scent. The product claims to not strip your hair of natural oils, b